January 15, 2010

Western Federation of Watercolor Societies

A couple of months ago I entered three paintings into the WFWS 2010 show not even thinking I had a chance. Western Federation of Watercolor Societies consists of 11 watercolor organizations: Arizona (Phoenix area), Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, San Dioego, Southern Arizona (Tucson area), Texas (Ft. Worth area), Utah, Oregon, and West Texas (Dallas area).

Shown are the three paintings: "Is it an Apple or a Pear?," "Grandma's Boa," and "In the Driver's Seat."


On January 12 (my granddaughters 18th birthday!) I received word I had one juried into the show, "In the Driver's Seat." Out of the 47 artists who entered from NM I was one of twelve who got in. My painting was selected out of 104 paintings. I'm excited. This may be a trip to Utah in May for the reception. Ken wants to go too. Carla O'Connor was the juror and will be the judge. I took a workshop from her several years ago.


This painting is an abstract, something very new for me. I find abstracts very hard. I know what people say when they view one: Oh! I could have done that! Well, people - TRY IT! It is harder than you think. I struggle with it. But I love doing them. I hate to draw and this is a good way to do a painting without having to draw. However, it takes a lot more thinking! And a lot of layering of paint.


The WFWS Utah exhibition will be held in West Valley City from May 14 - June 28. There will be 100 paintings hanging in the show. Colorado actually had the most accepted (20). Then San Diego (18) and then New Mexico with 12. Total entered from all societies: 489 artists entered 1,082 paintings. Wow! I really feel honored to have been chosen.


One more thing: of the 12 from NM who got in, 5 of them were with Local Color - the Monday painting group I am in. What an accomplished bunch. And 4 of them are also in the Friday Painters Group I have painted with since 1996. Just another example of why it is helpful to paint with groups. They all keep me inspired and it is helpful to get critiques occasionally.


I hope this is an indication that 2010 will be better!